Common question: "What's your major?"
Less common question: "Why?"
Often the answer would be:
A: "That's my major so I can get a good job."
Q: "Why do you need a good job?"
A: "To have money for food and a house and stuff." (Inwardly... "Duh")
Q: "Why do you need that stuff?"
A: "To stay alive."
Q: "Why do you need to stay alive?"
Please don't misunderstand... I'm not trying to devalue life. On the contrary, I believe our lives are invaluable... irreplaceable... not one person was an accident and neither is there life. The human race was not an accident. I want to elevate our lives by clarifying their meaning. Why are we here? You can't ask a higher question of life. Because that question says "My life is not worth wasting. What am I here for? I want to know so I can do it!"
Even noble causes: Feeding homeless people; abolishing racism, nationalism, sexism, and the like; world peace; saving the environment; bettering our communities through parks and trash cans; educating yourself;... et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. All of these things are lovely things... even, dare I say it, great things. But why do them? Feed a homeless man so he can... stay alive? Why should he want to stay alive? Get rid of racism (or sexism, or nationalism, or class systems) why? So the under dogs in those groups can live better lives? Why? What's a better life? Why take your kids to a nice park? So they can have fun? Why? So they will grow up better? Why? There has to be a reason!
Find the answer. Don't waste your life.

P.S. I thought I was going to voice my thoughts about racism... something else came up.
No comments:
Post a Comment